Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chess: There's Just Not Enough of it Out There


I won't teach you how to play chess, here. Either you already know how to play chess, or you don't. If you don't already know how to play, than you have two choices: Learn to play, or play checkers. Either are fine options. Even chess players could benefit from playing the occasional game of checkers. Both are classic.

If you decide to learn, you should learn from someone personally. It's more fun that way.

There are two types of chess players: those who think they know how to play, and those who actually know how to play. People who actually know how to play are pretty rare and probably have Russian sounding names. These people know gambits and basically attempt to learn each of the nearly infinite potential combinations that can occur on a chess board. You don't need to be that way, although if you are, I would love it if you would teach me some things.

I think that people should play more chess. I love to play, and I haven't played in years because none of my friends play. That is the point of this essay. I think that more chess should be being played, in cafes, in parks, at schools, so I appeal to you. Get a nice board for home, and cheaper set you can throw in a back pack, and play chess more. Or checkers, if that's your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment