Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coca-Cola: The Pause that Refreshes

"Housework brings that urge to pause and relax in an easy chair. Do it... with ice-cold Coca-Cola. It add to relaxation what relaxation always needs... pure, wholesome refreshment."

You know what goes well with a game of chess. Well, lots of things, actually: cigars, Martinis, espresso, Mexican hot chocolate... But if you're not in the mood for any of those things and you just want a quick easy beverage to share with someone, how about popping the top off an eight ounce bottle of Coke?

I'm not trying to advertise for them. They didn't pay me anything. But here's why I like those eight ounce glass bottles that you can still occasionally find: They taste good. Eight ounces is a relatively reasonable serving size. And they have a cute nostalgic quality that people really like.

It doesn't have to be Coke, either. A bottle of root beer is equally charming in the nostalgic category, and arguably tastes even better. Orange soda doesn't lag far behind.

But, for me, I'll always think of Coke, because I once moved to New Orleans just so that I could meet my childhood hero, and when I met him one scorching summer's day he offered me a bottle of Coke. I won't tell the whole story here, but that's the drift of it, and I suppose the moral of the story is:

If you want to be a really classy host on a hot summer's day, have a couple of cold bottle of Coke in the fridge, just in case. Or root beer. Or orange soda. Because that's just the kind of classy guy you are.

1 comment: